02 Jul Form Focus – July Tabata Workout
Yesterday we shared a Tabata workout on our social media to help you stay active through the holiday weekend! Today’s blog walks you through the Tabata training session by highlighting proper body positioning for each individual movement. It’s easy to let yourself slide when working out at home but follow our tips below to stay focused on form.
Tabata Overview Notes:
20 seconds work; 10 second rest
Repeat circuit four times with a one minute break between each round
Alternating Curtsy Lunges
- Stand tall, reach your right leg back at a 45 degree angle, lower into your lunge while keeping your chest lifted, return to the starting position and switch sides
Squats with a Kick
- With feet hip distance apart, sink your hips back, keep your chest lifted, lower down into your squat (90 degree bend at knees), press through your heels as you return to your starting position, repeat
- Feet jump out wide while arms swoop out and up forming an X with your body. To modify, move one side at the time, to make more difficult, move faster
- Hands directly under shoulders, body is long, maintain a neutral spine, your are on your toes or on the tops of your thighs (modified), lower your body down bringing your chest a couple of inches above the floor, elbows out at about a 45 degree angle, press up through your hands while maintaining a strong core back to your starting position. As you lower down inhale, as you press up exhale.
- Think lateral jumping mixed with the curtsy lunge: explode off of your right leg landing on your left leg in a squat position, tap the floor with your right hand as you reach your right leg back at about a 45 degree angle, repeat on the other side
Right Leg Burpees
- Take the burpee to the next level, by only shooting your right leg out to your plank position, then jumping the right leg back in toward your hands and jump with your right leg only!
Left Leg Burpee
- Same thing on the opposite side – Take the burpee to the next level, by only shooting your left leg out to your plank position, then jumping the left leg back in toward your hands and jump with your left leg only!
- Fingertips lightly resting behind your head with your elbows out to the sides, drive the right elbow to the left knee to twist and meet in the middle of your body while engaging the abdominal muscles, pull the bellybutton down toward the spine, extend the right leg long and hover above the ground, switch sides with control
Have fun with this #FLEXathome workout and keep your form tight to prevent injury, engage appropriate muscles, and get the most out of our Tabata training. See you after the holiday!